To book a Channel Swim, please follow the steps listed below:
1. Select the year and tidal period you want to book. To do this, you must check with the pilots to see which ones have places free.
2. Confirm the reservation with the pilot for the tidal period you want. The pilot will then hold the position (if it is available) for a short period and e-mail you the booking request. If you are booking for more than a year in advance, there is often a £250 non-returnable reservation fee. This is credited as part of your deposit. Each pilot sets his own fees. These are between you and the pilot. These are not controlled by the CS&PF in any way.
3. Agree the terms and confirm your acceptance of the position offered by the pilot.
4. The pilot will confirm the reservation and send you instructions and a contract for the position.
5. Sign and return your pilot's contract with your deposit or booking fee to finalise your booking. Send this fee to the pilot, not the CS&PF. The CS&PF has no involvement in setting, arranging or collecting any pilot's fees.
N.B. - The deadline for paying the pilot's deposit is 31st December in the year before you swim. This is the deadline; earlier payment will give you peace of mind and confirmation of your booking. After the 1st January the pilot can re-book any places not confirmed with a signed contract and a full deposit. Should you cancel your place after you have confirmed and paid any fees, the fees paid are non-returnable. Make sure you are definitely prepared to commit yourself to booking the place before finalising it. Please note the pilot's deposits are non-returnable and are required to confirm the place bookings.
6. Inform the CS&PF office that you have everything sorted with the pilot and your swim position is booked. The pilot will also tell the office when the booking is finalised and the contract and deposit has been received.
When the office has confirmation of your pilot booking we will then send you the CS&PF application and medical forms, usually through the e-mail address with which you have supplied us. These are sent out from the end of December in the year before you swim. Both these forms must be completed in the year of your swim, after 1st January.
The deadlines to have your paperwork completed are as follows:
Pilot booking fee: 31st December in the year before your swim
Application: 30th April
Medicals: 15th May
Final Deadline: 31st May
If you cannot meet these deadlines, then you must make contact with the office BEFORE the above dates to see if your registration can be extended. Any additional paperwork, such as a change of team members and paperwork corrections etc, will attract an additional admin fee. There is no guarantee that this paperwork can be completed on time. Your swim registration could be cancelled if it is not completed by the 31st May!
For SOLO swims, you must have completed a ratified 6-hour swim at least 14 days before your swim tide period starts. The 6-hour swim can be completed at any stage from 30 months before your swim.
For RELAY swims, you must have completed a ratified 2-hour swim at least 14 days before your swim tide period starts. The 2 hour swim can be completed at any stage from 18 months before your swim. The team leader is responsible for confirming with the office the relay's 2-hour swims once ALL the team members have completed them.
These qualifying swims are to make sure swimmers are aware of the challenge they are taking up and to give them a taste of what to expect. They are short swims compared to the actual crossing and should become a distance that is often exceeded while training.
DO NOT treat them as a training target for a successful swim.
The CS&PF recognise and register the pilots included on the CS&PF list. It has no involvement in setting, arranging or collecting any pilot's fees.
Please send all CS&PF forms to Hon. Secretary Kevin Murphy. His address is:
St Albans Herts
The CS&PF register the season's swims with the British and French authorities during the first week of June.
If you cannot meet these deadlines, you must make contact with the office BEFORE the above dates to see if your registration time limits can be extended.
Applications and bookings made after the deadline can be processed by the office, but only by arrangement, and we can not guarantee they will be completed in time for the swim.
If you are making a late reservation, talk to the office before committing to a booking with the pilot.
Please read the Web site, pilot escort contracts and the CS&PF forms thoroughly and ensure you understand them before completing and signing them.
Please keep a copy of all your paperwork.
- 04 Mar 2017
Saturday 4th March saw almost 300 people descend on Dover Town Hall to celebrate another fine season of Channel Swimming Read more
- 23 Jul 2016
Luiz swam the Channel on the 23rd July 2016 in 15 hours 54 minutes Read more
Sandettie Lightship Observations
2am, 30th March 2017
Water: 49.1 °F (9.5 °C)
Air: 52.7 °F (11.5 °C)
Wind Speed: 13.0 kn (24.1 km/h)
Wind Direction: S (180°)
£1,435 raised for the RNLI at the CS&PF dinner. To be matched by Federation. Thank you generous swimmers. https://t.co/os3PsxQ7Mb4 weeks ago